Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ole Miss Students Scatter Around the Globe to Lend a Helping Hand

Students at Ole Miss are scattering around the globe for the 2011 Spring Break, visiting some of

the most interesting places in the world to participate in charitable projects.

Every year, students are given one whole week of break in the Spring to vacation and relax. This year, students are showing an interest in international issues by traveling to the depths of Africa and South America.



Freshman Will Guyton, of Anniston, Alabama, will venture to Nairobi, Kenya with his church for Spring Break.



“My catholic church organized a mission trip to Kenya to go help construct a church and renovate a school. I have never been to Africa and am really excited to help the congregation and school children. I am so excited, I have attempted to learn some conversational Swahili.”



The most common religions in Kenya are Protestantism and Catholicism, making up over 80% of the Kenyan population.

Ole Miss Freshman, Nate McKinney, will travel to Honduras for the week-long break to visit family and return to his family home.



“I currently live in Honduras with my parents and two siblings. I will return home to see my best friends and even get to vacation in Roatán, an island off the coast of Honduras, to go cliff diving with my brother, Gabe. I will also help out at our hospital doing odd jobs for my parents.”



The McKinney family moved to Honduras 18 years ago as independent missionaries to work for the Honduran health system. The family, along with the help of American firms, has opened one hospital and three medical centers since they moved to Honduras in 1999.




Beaches of Roatán, Honduras





Street of Nairobi, Kenya

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment