Sunday, May 8, 2011

Diversity In Males


At Ole Miss, there are a percentage of males that correspond with the status quo, but Mykki Newton and Kegan Coleman have different stories.

Mykki Newton, instructor of Journalism at Ole Miss, is a transsexual male. Newton was diagnosed with transsexualism in late 1992. She had much trouble with conforming to society’s standards and eventually developed a drinking problem.

“I began to demonstrate destructive behavior because I hated being what people thought I should be,” stated Newton.

Newton has anchored and reported for various news stations, and also has had a career with acting in the past. Though Newton has been criticized for his lifestyle, she has never blatantly been disrespected to her face while on campus.

“I think that most journalism students have a certain respect for me because they may have me as an instructor in the future,” chuckled Newton.

As well as Newton, Coleman has never experienced slander in his presence while at Ole Miss. Coleman, a sophomore at Ole Miss, is a minority and also a member of the St. Anthony chapter of Delta Psi fraternity.

“Once, my friend told me that someone labeled me as an Uncle Tom because I rushed, but I know that the fraternity has not molded me because I have held on to my ideals,” stated Coleman.

Delta Psi was taking a chance with allowing Coleman to become apart of the fraternity, because it is very unlikely for a minority to be allowed membership into an Interfraternity Council fraternity or sorority.

“The frat took a chance, but they honestly accepted me with open arms and humble hearts….IFC is something very different from the National-Panhellenic Council. The rush process was amazing for me as a minority” said Coleman.

Both Newton and Coleman are proud of their decisions to experience these diverse ways of life, and do not regret them at all.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-44bwdql6g
hyperlink:http://zing.olemiss.edu/diversity-rocks-begins-april-25-at-ole-miss-j-school/

No comments:

Post a Comment